Recreation This Week!
ALL RECREATION - ALL THE TIME!
Recreation This Week! is a weekly e-newsletter compiled by the Recreation Department for the community of Mammoth Lakes. In it you will find a weekly sampling of our boundless recreational opportunities in one of the world's most spectacular playgrounds.
Whether you're looking for family fun, learning new things, challenging your endurance or simply rejuvenating the soul, we hope you'll take advantage of what awaits you in Mammoth Lakes.
Recreation This Week - April 12, 2018
Happy Spring Break to all the MUSD parents out there! If you are doing a little staycation be sure to check out some events going on in and around town this upcoming week!
- Baseball season has arrived and it is time to register your two to five year old for Little Sluggers T-Ball! This introductory program teaches your young child the basics of baseball. Practices and games will take place on Wednesday evenings from 5:15 to 6:00 p.m. at the Mammoth Elementary School fields beginning May 2 through June 6. Parent involvement is required. Register today!
- New this summer, Wave Rave Adult Skate Camp! Monday, July 9 - Tuesday, July 10 at the Volcom Brothers Skate Park from 5:00 until 7:00 p.m. Any adult with an interest in skateboarding is welcome to join. Learn how to skate or brush up on your skills in a fun learning atmosphere similar to our popular Wave Rave Skate Camps for kids. Families are welcome too! Registration is FREE but required as are helmets. Sign up today!
- We still have availability in the following summer camps and programs: Climbing Camps (Minis), Climbing Camp IV (Child and Youth), Climbing Camp V (Child & Youth), Husky Prep Tennis Camp, Jr. Lifeguard Camp, Mammoth Adventure Camp II (Mini), Wave Rave Skate Camps (Minis), Week Long Group Swim Lessons, Wilderness Camps (Minis), Wilderness Camp III (Youth), Youth Tennis Camp, Youtheatre (Oklahoma!), Challenger Sports Soccer Camps, and UK International Soccer Camps.
- Registration is now online and available for Mono Arts Council’s Summer Art Camp, Valentine Eastern Sierra Reserves’ Outdoor Science Education Program, Mammoth AYSO and Mammoth Sharks Swim Team. Check out their amazing programs and register today!
- Toddler Time meets on Tuesdays from 9:30-11:00 AM. Each 4-week session is $48 with a 50% sibling discount. Drop-in rates are available.
- Save the date! Town Clean Up Day is Saturday, May 12 from 8:00 to noon. Take pride in your neighborhood and volunteer to help clean up our town! Orange bags are now available at the Town offices (limited 5 per person). Come say hello and pick up your bags this week!
- Volunteers needed! We will be installing a new inclusive playground at Mammoth Creek Park in June 2018. Final dates are still TBD but the installation will be over two weeks (hoping to start June 4 or June 11). We are seeking volunteers to help us with the installation and if you have experience in construction even better. If you would like more information, please add yourself to the interest list or give me a call at 760-965-3699.
- Oakley Mini Pipe Challenge is going down on Saturday, April 14 from noon to 3:00 p.m. at Mammoth Mountain. This is a FREE jam in celebration of spring skiing and snowboarding. No rules or divisions, just a two-hour jam session on a custom double mini pipe. Sign up at the Oakley trailer hub at Main Lodge or get a spot on the sundeck and watch them throwdown.
- Eastern Sierra Land Trust is hosting a free Pollinator Garden Workshop this Saturday, April 14 at the White Mountain Research Center. Receive local expert tips on creating a blooming haven for hummingbirds, bees, and butterflies. This two-hour workshop will begin at 10:00 a.m.
- Mammoth Mountain’s Annual Pond Skim is Sunday, April 15 at Canyon Lodge. This annual spring skiing and snowboarding celebration is fun for all ages! Get ready to be awed or at least have a few laughs. The first 50 competitors to register in costume are guaranteed entry. Show begins at 2:00 p.m.
- Also on Sunday, April 15 is the Tamarack Challenge & Closing Day. Come out in your craziest costume and ski all the groomed tracks on the last day of the season. Sure to be a good time with five different Mardi Gras stations, poker hands, and a potluck at noon. Must have a valid season or trail pass to participate, no registration required.
- Jewelry Making Workshop with Bonnie Jay is Sunday, April 15 at The Nest from 11:00 a.m. until 1:00 p.m. Make a one-of-a-kind piece of jewelry and enjoy a glass of wine this Sunday!
- White Mountain Research Center 2018 Public Lecture Series continues with “Cant we all get along? Competition and coexistence between native fishes of the Owens Valley”. All lectures are free and held Tuesday evenings, 7:00 p.m., at the White Mountain Research Center.
- Free Yin Yoga Stretch classes continue at the Sierra Wellness Center on Tuesdays and Fridays in April at 1:30 p.m. Get a class in this week!
- Buy your tickets for the Mammoth Lakes Film Festival now and save! Early bird prices end April 16.
- Chamber Music Unbound presents “Fantastic Four” – April 21
- National Park Service Entrance Fee Free Day- April 21
- Wag-N-Walk Family Friendly Dog Walk – April 21
- Public Field Trip to view Sierra Bighorn- April 21
- Confronting Climate Change in a Mountain Community – April 24
- Mosaics with Kristen Schipke- April 24
- Citizen Science at the Eureka Sand Dunes – April 23-29
- Owens Lake Bird Festival – April 27-29
- Winter Ezakimak Challenge – April 28
- Fly Fishing Film Tour – April 28
- Opening Day of the regular fishing season – April 28
- Chamber of Commerce Events
Have a great weekend and safe travels!
Subscribe to Recreation This Week or contact Lauren Plum at or (760) 965-3699. This is an opt-in e-newsletter and will not be sold or used for any other purpose.
Access the Recreation This Week Archive to catch up on all the news, events or programs that you missed!